Sunday, September 14, 2014

Pan Fried Tuna Patties

I feel like we all have those couple cans of tuna fish in our cupboards that we consistently pass over instead of eating them like we always tell ourselves we will. Fret not! I have a wonderful recipe to use up those couple cans of tuna. After trying this delicious patty, you'll wish you had a few more cans in the pantry!




YIELDS: 6 patties / PREPARATION TIME: 10 min / COOK TIME: 20 min


Equipment needed:


  • Medium mixing bowl (about 2 Quarts)
  • Fork
  • 2 Spatulas (Slotted ones are preferred)
  • Medium-Large pan deep enough for frying
  • Plate
  • Paper towels

Ingredients:


  • 3     5 oz. cans of tuna, drained
  • 3     eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1      stalk of celery, chopped
  • 1/3  C finely diced onion (I used a sweet onion, but any onion you like will work)
  • 1      Tbsp mayo*
  • 1      Tbsp mustard
  • 1      Tbsp lemon juice
  • 2     Tbsp of gluten-free flour mix**
  • 1      Tbsp dill
  • 1.5   tsp salt
  • 1/2  tsp black pepper
  • 1/4  tsp paprika 
  • 1/2  C oil for frying (I used canola oil)
*Omit if allergic to eggs
**I prefer Bob's Red Mill gluten-free All-Purpose Baking Flour. 


Note: All of these spice measurements are estimations, as I usually just eyeball the amounts. I'll try to get better at measuring, as I continue though!


Directions:


  1. Add enough oil to your pan so that the oil is about 1/4 inch high. For me, that was about 1/2 C. Turn the burner on high and allow the oil to heat. 
  2. While waiting, add all ingredients together in the mixing bowl and mix with a fork. This recipe creates a rather wet mix, so I would suggest draining any excess liquid, Don't worry, though, the flavor will still be infused even after you drain the liquid.
  3. By now, your oil should have little bubbles in it, indicating that's it's hot enough. Now it's time to make your patties. Use your hands to squish together a patty of your desired size. Try to get it about 1/2 inch thick throughout.
  4. Transferring the patty into the hot oil can be tricky! Place the patty on one of the spatulas and use the other spatula to slide it off and into the oil.* 
  5. Let cook for about 2 minutes, or until the edges turn a medium brown color.
  6. Pick up the patty with one of the spatulas, then place your second spatula over the uncooked side of the patty, flip, the lower back into the oil so the other side can cook. Leave for about another 1-2 minutes.
  7. Remove patty with your spatula and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to cool.
  8. Repeat with the rest of your patties
*The theory of these double spatula methods are to keep your hands as far away from the oil as possible. It's no fun to get burned by hot oil! Believe me, I figured out this technique after I got burned a couple times.


Serving Suggestions:


Here are a couple good ways that I thought to eat this patty:
  • In a toasted sandwich with mayo and white American cheese (like a tuna melt).
  • With cranberry sauce speared over top
  • In a lettuce wrap with Dijon and mayo 
  • Plain, with a side of grapes or apples
I found that with the fried, salty flavor of the patty, it paired excellently with the sweetness of fruit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment to let me know how your enjoyed your masterpiece and if you made any edits to the recipe!